A relaxing bath is a real treat as a mother. Make your bath work double duty by detoxing and promoting a calming mood at the same time. The Epsom salts, baking soda, and sea salts in this recipe work to naturally draw the toxins out of your skin. The magnesium sulfate of the Epsom salts is also easily absorbed by your skin, which reduces magnesium deficiency, thus increasing mood, reducing fatigue, and minimizing muscle cramps. Detoxing bath salts are a great starter DIY natural wellness recipe to make because they are family friendly, customizable, cost-effective, and giftable
When I was pregnant with my kids, I literally craved an Epsom salt detox bath. Soon I was on my way to a more enjoyable pregnancy without midnight leg cramps. Now as a mother of two kids under 3, I am extremely picky about what I put in their bath water. With kids this young, it’s a very common occurrence to see one (or both!) of them drinking the bathwater. It puts me at ease knowing there are no harmful chemicals or colors being absorbed by their skin or ingested in small amounts.
Another plus for making your own bath salts at home is how customizable the recipe is. You can swap out essential oils to suit your preference or the purpose. For example, lavender is a great essential oil choice to promote relaxation and rest in people of all ages. Therefore, this is an excellent choice to start with if you are new to making DIY natural wellness products. Most people love this scent and it also soothes itchy or irritated skin.
My personal favorite blend is ylang-ylang and bergamot. This wonderful floral aroma promotes healthy skin and hair while elevating the mood by reducing tension and stress. Now that sounds like my kind of bath—beautifying and relaxing!
The ingredients are inexpensive and these bath salts are so quick to whip up, so they will also be well worth your time. I have seen small jars of bath salts sold in stores sell for well over $10, and they are loaded with fake fragrances and colors. I usually get Epsom salts online or at local drug stores when they are on sale. I usually pay under $1.50 per pound. It is VERY important that you buy fragrance-free plain Epsom salt, aka magnesium sulfate. Do not buy lavender scented, for example, as this is often artificially scented and/or colored.
Baking soda can also be bought in large boxes for very cheap. The sea salt price will depend on which types you choose. Himalayan or dead sea salt are both great choices and can be bought in bulk at some grocery stores. I have even found these cheap at discount stores like Marshalls or T.J. Maxx.
Most of the women (and some men!) in my life, love receiving homemade bath goodies. You can customize the essential oils used in your recipe to cater to specific needs and scent preferences. These make excellent gifts for Mother’s Day, baby showers, Christmas, hostess gifts, or anytime! I have several people who I regularly give bath salts to, just to show I care. They are even so kind to return my glass jars so I can refill them with some more salts to send their way!
Detoxing Bath Salts Recipe
- 2 cups Epsom salts
- 1/2 cup baking soda
- 1/2 cup sea salt
- essential oils of your choice—see combinations below
1. Measure out Epsom Salt, baking soda, and sea salt into a bowl and mix thoroughly.
2. Select essential oil additions below and mix into salt mixture.
3. Store in a glass jar of your choice. I like to put a small scoop or sea shell into my jars for convenience.
Essential Oil Additions:
- Lavender and Peppermint: 20 drops of Lavender and 5 drops of Peppermint | reduces anxiety, clears mind
- Frankincense and Lavender: 10 drops each | Great for skin irritations and to promote a sense of calm
- Eucalyptus, peppermint, and rosemary: Start with 3 drops of each, as these oils can have a cooling effect***| Relieves sinus congestion
- dōTERRA® Balance: 20 drops | this grounding blend promotes tranquility and calm
- dōTERRA Serenity: 20 drops | this calming blend promotes relaxation and sleep
- Lemon and Rosemary: 3 drops of each | uplifting blend that improves memory and focus
Does your family enjoy salt baths? What is your favorite essential oil combination?